Popular posts from this blog
Tiffany Aching: The Everyday, Solitary Hero
To this day, I have never read Harry Potter.* Or Percy Jackson, or The Lord of The Rings. I know, shocking. That just wasn't the kind of literature I loved as a kid. My favorite books were Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, Betsy and Tacy, A Little Princess, The Secret Garden, Ballet Shoes, and The Penderwicks : stories of ordinary little girls, who were special in one or two ways, and whose lives revolved around their families and friends, who barely ever traveled out of their hometowns, and certainly didn't do magic. My favorite stories always took place in the past, and I remember being fascinated by the characters' everyday lives. For example, there's a scene in the book Betsy, Tacy, and Tib where Betsy and Tacy learn there is a new girl living down the street and use this newfangled thing called the telephone to say hello to her, and I remember just being so charmed by how they did things. Same goes for embroidery in Little Women...
Your post was so well-written. Wow. Great job!
ReplyDeleteI liked how you summarized all that we discussed in class and examined Paul and the book as grey characters/things in their opinions. On one hand, Paul is a part of a system that exists and validates itself in the oppression of all other races. Like how Christianity furthers itself through mission work that often dilutes the societies it seeks to "save," thereby also establishing itself as the elite. But on the Paul goes out of his way to create change in the system, and not in the white savior, "I'll smash this sign," way, but through going to those he's trying to help and analyzing his own role in perpetuating and fighting the system. Similarly, Christianity, as you pointed out, can be very liberating and is a belief before it's political. Great post!